6 WEIGHT LOSS MYTHS YOU BELIEVE

Author: Adam Macdougall   Date Posted:10 May 2019 

When it comes to weight loss, there are 101 diets and ideas out there.

Unfortunately, many of the things we may believe about weight loss are not backed by any research, or even disproven by research.

Don't let these common weight-loss misconceptions derail your goals. Here are five of the biggest weight-loss myths, busted.

 

Myth: All calories are equal

When your grandma warned you that certain foods go straight to your hips, she was right. 

While all energy sources are measured in calories, it doesn't mean that each calorie source is the same. 100 Calories from a chocolate bar is not the same as 100 calories from a steak. Calories from carbs or fats will have a different effect on your body to carbs from protein.

 

Myth: Carbs make you fat

Carbohydrates are your bodies best and most readily available source of energy. In cutting carbohydrates from your diet completely, the body is forced to convert other nutrients to energy, which is more difficult. It also makes it near impossible to put on any muscle or lose fat.

The only reason diets such as 'Keto' seem to work is because when cutting carbs out, you often don't replace them, hence creating a calorie deficit. You then lose weight due to a caloric deficit, not because of cutting carbs. 

Your carb intake should be based on your level of activity, and remain an important part of a healthy diet. If you aren't as active, you simply moderate your carb intake to reflect your energy exertion. 

 

Myth: Skipping meals will make you lose weight

I cannot stress enough how silly this myth is. There are so many reasons why this myth is busted, but let's tackle it simply. 

When you skip a meal like breakfast, you put your body into survival mode which slows down your metabolism. Survival mode means your body stores energy instead of burning it, which will be stored as fat. When it comes to lunchtime and you finally have a meal, you're then also more likely to then overeat, undermining any reason to skip breakfast.

A high protein breakfast will kick start your metabolism in the morning and keep you fuller throughout the day. 

 

Myth: You have to go cold turkey

People often think that to lose weight and get healthy, they have to cut everything they enjoy out of their life. Ultimately, when trying to go cold turkey you are doomed to fail. 

Losing weight is about progress, not perfection. Moderating your diet is shown to be the most successful method for sustainable weight loss.

Treat meals and rewards are a great way to keep motivation throughout weight loss journeys.

 

Myth: Just start exercising to lose fat

Another wide held belief is that by adding exercise into your current diet, you will see results. 

In actuality, exercise has a smaller part to play in weight loss than many think. Exercise is about 20% of weight loss, and diet is the other 80%. As I like to say, you can't out-train a bad diet.

 

Myth: Cardio is the best exercise for weight loss

When we think of losing weight, we typically picture treadmills and exercise bikes. Well, it turns out we should really be thinking about weights.

Aerobic exercises are a great way to burn off calories, don't get me wrong. In an hour, you will burn more calories doing cardio than you will lifting weights.

But the real benefits of lifting weights comes after the workout. Lifting weights - or weight based exercises - increase your resting metabolism. Some studies have shown an elevated metabolism for up to 38 hours after a workout for men, resulting in a much higher caloric burn over the course of a day.