Addicted to junk? Here’s how to kick the addiction
Author: Adam MacDougall Date Posted:3 December 2014
Want to loose those man boobs or spare tire but start to break out into a cold sweat with just the thought of having to give up your favourite greasy foods. Well you are probably addicted to junk food and don’t even know it or you just don’t know how to break this addiction. Well don’t worry, read on and I will show you how to kick this habit.
Yes food is a drug it changes our hormones, body chemistry and behaviour. Food companies know this and load their products full of fats and sugars, which have a very powerful effect on the reward centres in our brain which in turn cause us to crave and eat more of these foods.
In fact recent research into the addictive nature of junk foods, showed that rats became much more addicted to Sugar then the highly addictive drug cocaine. WOW that is scary! And sorry guys but the news is worse for us with the male brain in rats being more effected by the effects of junk food and it’s addictive powers.
But hey we are not helpless to win this fight against sugar and junk foods and in the words of the silent prayer made famous by alcoholics anonymous.
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
We can make the following changes to help us kick our junk food habit.
- Out of sight out of mind. That’s right kick out the junk from your cupboards and steer clear of the drive through. Do you really think an alcoholic would fill their cupboards with vodka and Jim beam, no. So don’t think you can resist it’s powers and no bull shit excuses like it’s for the kids because why are you feeding them this crap.
- Balance your blood sugar levels by not skipping breakfast and meals and make sure you are eating protein with each meal.
- Take magnesium and chromium as these two minerals have been proven to help balance our blood sugar levels and curb our sugar craving. This is great news as The Man Shake is packed full of these two junk food fighters.
- Don’t throw in the towel. Yes we will all slip up, but it’s not the end of the world. As long as you’re not doing this everyday, a cheat is not the make or break of your healthy lifestyle. As men we take a Fly or Die approach to everything in that if we don’t succeed right away we’re ready to throw in the towel. Stop thinking that way. Habits aren’t broken and changes don’t happen in one day.
- Don’t wait for the perfect day it’s never going to come, so stop waiting for the right moment to start making changes and just focus on 1 small change you can make now like eating a high protein breakfast tomorrow. Small steps are better than taking no steps at all.
But if all else fails and you can’t get motivated ask yourself this, what are you putting at risk by your poor choices - your family, your career, your life. How much do you value watching your children grow up. So man up and simple make better choices that involve less crap.